Are You Ready for ICD-10?
CMS Administrator Marilyn Tavenner made it very clear on the direction of ICD-10 in her keynote speech at HIMSS last week. “There are no more delays and the system will go live on October 1st. Let’s face it guys, we’ve delayed this several times and it’s time to move on.” Checking in on what the industry is saying about ICD-10, here is what we found.
- ICD-10: The day after, by Tom Sullivan, Government Health IT.
- ICD-10 and revenue cycle readiness: Six key steps, Joshua Berman, Director of ICD-10 at RelayHealth, Healthcare Finance News.
- CMS Won’t Budge On ICD-10 Deadline, Alison Diana, Information Week Healthcare.
- It’s the big MAC testing week, Carl Natale, ICD10 Watch.
- 5 Best Practices for ICD-10 Physician Education From Crozer-Keystone Health System, Helen Adamopoulos, Becker’s Hospital Review.
The health care industry will transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10 codes for diagnoses and inpatient procedures on October 1, 2014. The final updates to ICD-9-CM codes took effect on October 1, 2013. These updates will be in effect until the ICD-10 transition takes place on October 1, 2014. You can find the lastest official ICD-9-CM code titles, both full and abbreviated, on the CMS website. For the latest CMS news on ICD-10 refer to the CMS website.
CMS ICD-10 Guide – this interactive web-based tool provides step-by-step guidance on how to transition to ICD-10 for small practices, large practices, small hospitals, and payers.
CMS ICD-10 Implementation Timelines and Checklists – These resources detail activities that providers and payers need to carry out to prepare for ICD-10.
- Large practices timeline and checklist
- Small and medium practices timeline and checklist
- Small Hospitals timeline and checklist
- Payers timeline and checklist
MLN Connects™ Videos on ICD-10 Are you ready to transition to ICD-10 on October 1, 2014? MLN Connects™ videos on the CMS YouTube Channel can help you prepare.
- In the “ICD-10: Implementation for Physicians, Partial Code Freeze, and MS-DRG Conversion Project” video, Pat Brooks and Dr. Daniel Duvall from the Center for Medicare, Hospital and Ambulatory Policy Group discuss the transition to ICD-10 for medical diagnosis and inpatient procedure coding.
- Video slideshow presentations from MLN Connects National Provider Calls:
- August 22, 2013 – ICD-10 Basics: Keynote presentation by Sue Bowman from the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
- April 18, 2013 – Begin Transitioning to ICD-10 in 2013: CMS Subject matter experts review basic information on the transition to ICD-10 and discuss implementation planning and preparation strategies.
Complimentary White Paper: Making a Smooth Transition – Avoiding the Top 5 Risks of the ICD-10 Conversion
The adoption of the ICD-10 code set will represent a significant change in the health care industry. This whitepaper outlines the five major risks of the ICD-10 transition that your practice should expect, as well as ways to ensure your medical billing, practice management, and EHR vendor is prepared to make your transition as smooth as possible. Download here.